You already know the advantages of a 3D or 4D ultrasound for you as the mother. You get to see your baby’s little face and see all those adorable features well before your child is born. This brings a greater sense of connection between you and your unborn child. You will be able to say “she looks just like me” well before she is even born. However, what you may not know is that there are also medical advantages to the advanced methods of ultrasound. Your doctor will be able to use the detailed data to find out much more about the baby.
Below, you will find out more about the advantages to this type of ultrasound.
The board-certified OBGYNs at Triangle Premier Women’s Healthcare are highly trained in providing both 3D and 4D ultrasounds. Contact our OBGYN clinic in Clayton, NC by requesting an appointment online through our secure form.
Before going over the more detailed advantages to a 3D or 4D ultrasound, let us consider the more generalized things that you and your doctor will gain.
- Easier to study results, saving the doctor and the patient time.
- Will provide better anatomical results. The doctor will be able to, with more accuracy, determine the sex of the baby.
- Will make the details easier. In other words, the physician will be able to point out things to the patient clearly and easily for the patient to understand.
Advantages Involving the Baby
Your doctor will be able to assess and determine a number of different things about your growing baby, including the following:
- Signs of malformation
- Development of heart
- Signs of bladder issues like cysts
- Development of well-being in the baby: eyelid movement, respiration, sleep times, motions, and gestures
- Signs of skeletal abnormalities
- Signs of conditions such as spina bifida, cleft palate, club foot, and cleft lip
Advantages Involving the Mother
There are also things that the doctor will be able to check as far as the health of the mother, including the following:
- Measurements of endometrial hyperplasia
- Signs of cysts, polyps, or Fibromas
- Concerns of tumors in the ovaries
In addition to having all of these advantages for pregnant mothers over the standard 2D types, 3D and 4D ultrasounds can also be used in other situations. They can help diagnose a number of conditions, such as the following:
- Signs of infertility through damaged fallopian tubes
- More exact details for seed implantation in Brachi therapy
- Bladder and prostate volume measurement
- Measurement of tumors, such as in the prostate and bladder
- Exact needle placement for breast cancer biopsy
- Monitoring of breast cancer treatments
There are many advantages to choosing 3D and 4D ultrasounds when compared to the 2D standard. These advantages are not just for pregnant mothers. Additionally, they provide more detailed information to physicians so that the best care, diagnosis, and treatments can be provided.
While 3D and 4D ultrasounds are relatively new, they are becoming more advantageous as their many different uses become obvious in many different medical fields.